Saturday, February 1, 2014

A (not so) Little Fall of Rain

Always bring an umbrella with you. Always. 

This is a lesson I thought I had learned in my first few weeks as a freshman in New York, but apparently the memory of running home in the midst of a torrential downpour was just a little too hazy in my mind. I've already had to relearn that important life lesson. This past Tuesday I was about to leave my flat to go to a performance of Henry V (starring Jude Law for those of you care) and I looked outside to see that it wasn't raining. By instinct I set my umbrella down on the floor and rushed out the door to catch the tube. I didn't want to be late for the play. The play was great - I have my criticisms, but I'll leave them out of this post - and after sitting there for two and a half hours I worked up a bit of an appetite. My friends and I decided that dessert and drinks after the show sounded great. Much to my dismay, as we left the theatre it began to pour. Don't get me wrong, I can handle a little bit of rain. This wasn't a little bit of rain. For some reason we decided that we should keep walking back home instead of taking public transportation. By the time I made it home I was drenched and ready for a cup of hot tea, a sweater, and my lumpy mattress. 

Since that night I have had my umbrella by my side at all times. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather only be that wet when I'm in the shower and the water is a bit warmer. 

This past week was syllabus week, so my workload is still a bit light, but two of my classes have required theatre visits every week. Oh I know, woe is me! I have to go to two plays a week?! How will ever live? I'm very excited for the performances my professors - excuse me, lecturers, as they call them over here - have chosen. Next week I'm seeing King Lear and War Horse! The other class I am taking has required trips to a different part of London every other week to speak with different industry professionals. The opportunity to experience my education outside the classroom is exactly why I love NYU. 

I'm going to cut myself off here. I am currently sitting in a café and my cup of tea is almost empty. I'll take that as a sign that I need to get up and explore. I'll be back soon to update the internet on my latest shenanigans in London. Until then, I solemnly swear I'll be up to no good, learning that jaywalking in London is an entirely different game than jaywalking in New York. Buddy the Elf lied when he said "The yellow ones don't stop." They do. It's the black ones that don't stop. 

Cheers! 



No comments:

Post a Comment